The Definition of Insanity
The definition of insanity is to keep doing the same thing over and over and expect a different result. That’s where we are on guns as a country. The heartwrenching events we see on the news, like the events in Florida and in Sutherland Springs, Texas, should make you wonder how we got here. Our kids’ safety is literally at risk.
We must support the 2nd amendment, like I do, and support common sense gun legislation that will reduce death and injury from gun violence, like I do. Texas - of all places - can lead the way in addressing this serious public health epidemic, to us and our children, without sacrificing our constitutional rights.
Our current leadership’s response to tragic gun violence is “thoughts & prayers.” Thoughts and prayers are not enough. Texas needs leaders who act, not just offer lip service. Enough talk. Texas can do better.
As governor, I will support:
- Comprehensive and universal background checks on all gun purchases
- Tighter regulations on large-capacity magazines and bump stocks
- Closing loopholes that put guns in the hands of dangerous people, such as domestic abusers
- Enacting a “red flag” law to keep guns out of dangerous hands, reduce mass shootings, suicides and other gun deaths
- Raising the age to 21 to purchase rifles in Texas (with an exception for active duty military)
There are many ways to address this incredibly important issue and I will consider other measures including a ban on military style assault weapons, to help keep our schools, churches, movie theaters...and our citizens...safe from senseless gun violence.
That’s where I’m at with this. What do you think? Send me a note.